22/10/2011

this evening's tech argument...

is about some very old hardware. very? In computer terms, I guess 10 years is ancient... anyways. It's old. An Adaptec 2940somethingorother (I think it's only a UW, not sure) and the then-massive 36GB disk. With data (pictures) on it, that I want.

I've had to take the machine apart because I'm building a server. And now I'd like to consolidate all the pics onto one machine - there are probably 10 discs around with pics on - and then give it to my wife to say "mark what you want printed, it's all there" - and away we go.

Ha. The 2940 is so old, there's no signed x64 driver for Win7. Oops.
Ubuntu? Kernel Panic.
Then the CD refused to allow itself to be read.

In the mean time, I've changed the CDROM, as I can't get the .ISO I have of XP to work properly. So after burning that ISO onto a CD and wasting several hours waiting for XP to install, I finally have a machine that appears to work. Maybe.

The disks would be "scanned" during the install process - another re-start.
Then the 2940 appeared to cause a hang`- another re-start.
Then Formatting took forever. Then the disc refused to start. Then ... I've been working on this since 5 and I've only just got XP up and running. Meh.

And now I need a mouse on the XP ... but the network wasn't installed. Lovely. Ah well, another installation....

No comments:

Post a Comment