25/10/2011

recovering photos

I have no idea if it would be this "easy" with CDs or DVDs, but I'm finding it relatively simple - at least so far - to recover data.

The SCSI disks were a pain. I now have two disks running - one 120GB 2.5 and a very full 60GB 3.5", copying over to a spare disk. I'll have to try and find space to replicate that *tomorrow* as I don't trust the disk that much, but I'm also only copying and not moving.

Still, it's good to see that data is still intact that's 9 years old where nothing special has been done, apart from taking the disk out of the box and putting it - literally - on a shelf to be forgotten about.

I'll try and read one of my old DVD-R disks at some point soon and see how well they work.

All this data recovery will probably lead to an avalanche of new stuff on 23hq, which is where most of my stuff gets kept.

One thing that has struck me is that the DiMAGE 7 I used to use has essentially only had 7-8k clicks. The K10 had 60k in 4 years and the k5 is heading over 12k in 1 year. The '7 was in use for around 4 years, I think. I'll maybe sort some stats out later.
I *will* be troubling GIMP with these, though, as the auto WB feature there is pretty good, even for JPGs. For some bizarre reason I never saved the dimage stuff in RAW (I suspect because it was 5MP and I was using 128MB CF cards at the time) so that's only in JPG. Ah well. I still have it somewhere.

After these, there's a bunch of other stuff to do, but the next thing will be to set up the server and try and get it quiet. That, though, relies on me actually getting a board with twin NICs for use as a firewall. That's proving more difficult than I'd like, though I'm tempted to use the D201GLY2 with PFSense.

I'll explain more about the network setup shortly. I need to go see what my backup restoration is up to.

Edit: oops - I spoke too soon... windows just rebooted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment