05/11/2011

the five minute home studio setup

I'll keep it short. I've just done a shoot of my little monster - she's out to a party. In fancy dress.

So, of course, I want to take photos. Hmm. But how?

Let's start with the easy bit: camera. 1/100, f14, ISO100.
50mm lens.
Working distance such that the face fills around 2/3 of the frame.

One flash on the camera as trigger. Another on the floor with diffuser at 1/8 power. Directly to my right an Elinchrom DLite2 on 3.5 with a reflective brolly (shoot through would require 4.5).
Bringing the dlite towards the floor so it's lighting up underneath the hat brim means I need to drop the power by another stop (to 2.5), but the rest is fine.

Quick tip: sort your background out. Either shoot into an open doorway (!!) or get some black material for the background. Doorway is a lot faster.

 - Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment