27/10/2011

got a gfx card for the HTPC

the HTPC now has a graphics card to replace the borrowed PNY one. It's an older Asus one, 8600 chipset - and with S-Video and two DVI-D outputs. Now to find drivers.

Reading over on silentpcreview, the card is four years old and I'm going to have fun making sure it's adequately cooled. The reason for this? The system is supposed to be going into a "radio" from the 50s. Or something like that - it's old, square and wooden. I'm leaving some of the knobs and lights on the front, but the PC is going in the back.

I need to take it apart and find my thermocouple before doing much else, as I need then to create a clear thermal path, probably with some 120mm case fans running slowly to push air out of the back. Luckily, I have a couple of those lying around from other projects.

Pics when I've tidied the garage so I can work in there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment