24/10/2011

the data is back...

I basically spent far too much time over the weekend saving data. Old stuff. The machine it was on hasn't been used since 2004 (that's seven and a bit years, count 'em) and yet it booted. I have 640MB of RAM in that and I found it again in a box I wasn't expecting it in - and hey presto, pictures.

So, now "all" I have to do is connect up the other disks - and make sure that the big server actually starts to run and run reliably. There's probably getting on for another terabyte of data scattered across 5-6 disks. Then there's 2 TB on my desktop at work.
The server will get 6TB of disk, which should be enough to be going on with... but not much more than that.
I'll be testing a RAID card in a 478-era P4 with lots of disks attached as JBOD very shortly - as this means I can avoid using the Core2Duo for Server duties and give the RAID card a 512MB cache (found a SO-DIMM, PC133 SDRAM). The Core2Duo box will then play HTPC. If I can find enough RAM.... at least that one's DDR2 and can accept more than 4GB.

Now 'all' I need is a box for firewall; the last one got frazzled by some orange squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment