29/04/2012

My server box -. a quick update

Several months have passed and my ZFS box is running quietly in the corner, supplying me with music, videos and photos as required. It's pretty effective. A couple of things that I've learned and want to pass on: - ZFS is a pain to try and expand. I am aware of that, but I will say it again now. So I'll be spending some time in the near future compressing my data requirements by eliminating duplicates so that I can push everything onto 4TB when I need to and then expand the system as required. - fault tolerance really does work, and it works well.
Amazingly so.

One of the SATA connectors fell off and then a power cable dropped out, too; no problems with data. - you can't get ZFS to sleep, so don't try. Run a scrub once a week and you're good. - Samba can be a pain but now I'm getting 60MB/s plus and that's perfectly adequate for my expectations. Especially as it means I can run several card readers at once and the limitation is the reader / OS and not the network :) It's also really nice to be able to process remotely as it's pretty quick and frees up the laptop for other stuff.

Overall? I'm a pretty happy bunny. No upgrades to 12.04 LTS here, though; I want this system to work properly. I'd strongly recommend anyone who is looking at lots of disks in a case to think about suspending them. This box is currently in the corner of a large room (6-7m long) and I'm working at the other end. If the fan in the E6400 is on, I can't hear the box in the corner. It is running 8 (yes, eight) 3.5" disks and it's virtually inaudible from 5m. That's acceptable, in my book. Before you ask, 6 onboard SATA, one extension card SATA as ZFS, one onboard as Cache, and then the system disk is still EIDE (and maybe limits performance, but I don't think by much, if at all). It now has 8GB of memory and that seems to be enough to allow dedup to work.

- Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment