01/05/2012

crashplan - or at least backups

... so now, I need to really, seriously start thinking about backups.

I've got 1.25TB or so left of 4, so I need a decent sized plan. 3TB isn't too far over what I figured would happen, either.

So now I need to get the backup plan sorted and working. Even with a 10Mbit upload (which I don't have), the backup is going to take a while. So I think it will be plan B... which means I need some more storage space.
I think I'll be getting another 6TB of space and then shift that to an external box, so I can add the remaining 2TB to the set while the other data is safe on the 6TB bundle.

Should be easy, right? Well, I should have a very large array at work in the next few weeks to play with, so that will put me in good stead for the speeds I can expect.

100 MB/s --> 6GB / min  --> around 3 hours per terabyte. I won't be copying it over with rsync, either, I have had a couple of interesting experiences with that in the last few days. Maybe set the disks up as a new vdev and then copy everything? But it's only a one-time thing, so maybe I can survive with it taking time.

When I've worked it out, I'll post about it. 150MB over eSATA would help, though. If I can get drivers, the PERC/6 might also work well, as then I could slap all of the disks in the one box. But the box is nearly full as it is, so it needs to be replacements rather than additional disks. Which is another problem I'll deal with when I get to it.
In the mean time, disk prices have also dropped nicely again, so I might even be able to afford the new space.

 -  Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment