06/11/2011

interesting escapade with PhysDiskWrite and a USB Stick

A while back, there was an offer in Citymarket for 8GB SanDisk Micro USB Sticks for €10 each. I don't know if it's still a good deal, I'm not really bothered.

I picked up two - I've generally had good experience with Sandisk, so as they were cheap...

Now, today, I'm trying to use one as a boot device for FreeBSD. Fail. Epically. 9 times out of 10. Why? Good question, because if I swap to the other stick, physdiskwrite just goes through. Not particularly fast, mind, but it runs.

So the only thing I can think of is that there's a couple of corrupt locations on the stick and normally in Filesystem use, these won't cause any issue. Right now, though, because this is writing directly to the logical sectors, it fails. Nice to know my stick isn't as reliable as it should be....
I guess I'll have to pick up a couple of new ones at the next opportunity. I have a 16GB one, but I know that to be S L O W. Anyone got any recommendations on fast USB Sticks? Aren't there eSATA sticks?

No comments:

Post a Comment