07/06/2012

PSU?!

So, the saga of the data that's not elsewhere continues.

I tried probably 15 times to boot the box yesterday, and every single time after ten minutes or so, it would lock up.

Then I set the PnP OS in the BIOS to "NO" and hey presto, it got better.

Removing one of the disks made it even better. So from here, it looks, smells and feels like there's a heat and PSU issue. I moved it back onto the table this morning (it locked up at 05:11) and in the process took down the NTFS disk attached (grr!) so I've started the copy *again*. If this works, then I'm 99% sure I need a new PSU as the old one seems to struggle under load and again under heat. It's pretty boxed-in back there, so I could sort of understand this.

In the mean time, then, I'll try to re-copy the data for the umpteenth time (lost another NTFS disk yesterday, main file table corrupt so Windows 7 says "NO!") and if I get that fixed, I'll be a happy bunny.

Moral? Sort your backups out before it's too late....

 - Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment