06/06/2012

CHS0 / DRDY / ATA issues under Ubuntu

I've been messing with Ubuntu for a while now, but I'm slowly hitting a brick wall. I had some major problems yesterday with my server box, where two Seagate 7200.11s appear to have died, and so I'm trying to pull the last of the data off that I'm not 100% sure is elsewhere.

1.2TB of it.

That takes time. Now, the disks were running OK yesterday - but the box locked up as soon as I tried to access the Samba share at one point. At another, it was running fine with 45MB/s transfer rates... and now? Now it's running 15 locally to a disk that's on the SATA bus!

Anyways, I don't care if the 2011 directory is copied safely.

The reason I write this post; I appear to have been having major problems with the SATA bus, and changing the graphics card appears to have helped. I do not understand this 100%, but if it's the cure for the issue, I'm not really bothered.

I'll keep you updated...

the new ZFS, by the way, will have Dedup and atime disabled from the start and will probably have either five disks in a single vdev for around 3.5TB of space or maybe two three-disk vdevs. Haven't decided yet, need to do some research. The box "only" has 8GB of memory and 6 disks (potentially 7), and performance is supposed to be best with only five disks. Performance would be nice, but 60MB/s is enough.

Just hoping the data comes off cleanly and then I can work on getting it back on again.

The 7200.11s were giving me the above SATA issue; one of them would drop off the bus five minutes after boot and the other would give the DRDY error every three seconds or so, reducing speeds to 2MB/s.

If the PATA system disk is dying, that's fair enough, I'll have to replace that, too, but at least that can be something slow and it's not a problem.

 - Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment