29/10/2011

running the p4sci - and FreeNAS won't

I'm kind of annoyed. Both the P4SCI boards work, and the one I've transplanted into the old midi-tower case I have lying around boots sort-of correctly. Only thing is that it simply won't start FreeNAS.
My previous experience of FreeNAS is only good. It simply ran on old hardware and that was it. Now? I don't know. I've tried pretty much everything I can (HT off, limit MaxVal etc) and it simply won't cleanly boot.
The only question now, then, is what to use instead. It was the ideal solution and I'm incredibly annoyed that it won't work. That the RAID controller doesn't see the disks doesn't really surprise me (I think there's a different issue there, mainly to do with the fact that I'm running a very high power P4 - TDP 87W - off of a minimally-sized PSU, along with 6x1TB drives) but the freenas thing sucks.

I think I'm going to strip to minimum hardware and see if that helps and then call it a night if it doesn't.

- Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment