30/10/2011

CPU coolers

next problem... .

The cooler that's in place right now is a passive one, fed by a snail-formed fan which is noisy as hell. So, I removed that and put the 'board in a case... and promptly got a "wii ooo wiii ooo wiii ooo" alarm. Overtemp.

Dumping the fan from a 775 socket factory 'sink sorted that out, but I need a more permanent solution.

So I'm going to get a 92mm fan and wire it in place. I can't be bothered with *another* €50 (there are two machines...) and then no space, so it's going to go like this.

Air sucked in from on top of the CPU, pushed out of the case by the PSU fan. More "warm" air pulled in by a 120mm in front of the old 5.25 optical drive place - which will be converted to 4x3.5" just as soon as I have a decent method to do this, i.e. longer screws or a commercial solution - and pushed out via an exhaust fan at the rear of the case.
I'm dallying at the moment on the idea of an nxzt case, as that would solve the location problems and would probably look good, but I'm also limited to "only" 8 disks there, too. I need to think that one through.

- Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment